Saturday, June 7, 2008

What do you actually need to draw a website template?

Many would say that you actually need an html/css editor (let's say Dreamweaver), a tool to draw graphics (let's say Photoshop), some sample content (placeholder) and some browser to test it. Some would add to all the above the necessity of a really nice picture. But we really miss the most essential point.

What is the most essential point? Psychology of our website's target group. How can you manage this? Firstly you take an interview from the owner of the website and you ask him 5 basic questions:

1) What are the main categories of your merchandise?
2) Do you aim at wholesale and international business?
3) Have you completed any advertising actions till today? Do you have any up-to-date material i should take into account (brochures, logos, corporate identity etc.)?
4) What is your current relationship with internet and technology in general?
5) What do you expect from your future online activity?

If i have some true answers to these questions, i can really start designing a custom template for my client.

From the first question i could understand what material should i use to graphically enhance my template and where should i focus. Furthermore, i can come in a virtual touch with my future target group by realizing which customers are really interested about my client.
The second question gives me a useful information about the complexity and general profile of my layout. Third question helps me to come close to current company's profile and take advantage of all the previous work that has been done in this field (this doesn't mean that i am going to copy or steal some other's work. I am just interested in past creative ideas). Fourth question tells me how my client is going to affect my work. If my client has nothing to do with internet or technology, then my responsibility is really great because i will also have to provide some basic consulting service. And finally, fifth question tells me how seriously my client is confronting his online business.

Try to have these questions answered and you'll see that web design will become an easier and more effective work for all. Every company is unique, every client has different needs. Even if 2 customers have the same merchandise, they usually target to a slightly or heavily different target group.